[horde] Couple of Items - Signature When Replying, Not Authorized To Use IMP

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Oct 30 23:23:48 UTC 2013

Quoting "Jens-U. Mozdzen" <jmozdzen at nde.ag>:

> we're probably talking about different things here. You mention
> "disclaimers" - I'm with you on that. But the original discussion
> was about contact info in the signature part and it was said that it
> isn't needed when you already know the sender, so to drop sigs
> altogether when *replying*. That's the topic I was writing on.
>
> I feel you're barking up the wrong tree here.

I don't know addresses/phone numbers/fax numbers of everyone I am
contact with via e-mail.  So signatures are potentially useful.  But
they are useful in a "I know where to find it if I need it" sort of
way.  Otherwise, I don't need to see them at all.

In a perfect world, there would be a mail header (or a separate MIME
part) that is REQUIRED for signature information, for just this
purpose.  Signatures would never be a part of the message body, but
you could access the information when needed.  Unfortunately, that
ship has sailed.

As for the recommendation that you don't add a signature if one
already exists -- this becomes extremely difficult to do, since most
MUAs entirely munge body text when replying.  You would need a
sophisticated regex to begin to do this, and my feeling is that this
still would only work say 80% of the time.  It would take a *lot* of
time to dial this in, and I feel that this time is better spent
elsewhere.

michael