[horde] Horde Alarms / Reminder Notifications

Brian Spraker spraker at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 7 15:16:56 UTC 2013

A quick update to the horde alarms problem.

I just went in and changed the authentication from 'No Authentication' to using an authentication method.  I then put in a username/password into the config.

Made a test event and just received the e-mail moments ago.

So if anyone else is having problems getting reminder e-mails about events, it appears you MUST use some kind of SMTP authentication and put in a proper username/password into the config.  If using No Authentication, it doesn't work.

Brian S.

On Monday, November 4, 2013 11:16 AM, Brian Spraker <spraker at yahoo.com> wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

>The configuration is set to No Authentication on the Mailer tab of the Horde authentication.  It is set to use an SMTP server, the server is 'localhost', the port is '25', and SMTP Authentication is 'No Authentication'.  All other items are not filled out.
>

>Brian S.
>

>On Sunday, November 3, 2013 3:03 PM, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:
>
>Quoting Brian Spraker <spraker at yahoo.com>:
>>

>>> Since the upgrade to Horde 5, the reminder notifications for items
>>> in the calendar have ceased to work.  There is a cron job setup to
>>> run the horde-alarms.php file in the pear directory.
>>>
>>> I see that in the documentation, it says a cron job should be setup
>>> to reference
 /usr/bin/horde-alarms.  But this file doesn't exist.

>>> There was a separate pear installation and all done with the setup I
>>> have.  Horde 5 was installed in the same exact folder as Horde 5 -
>>> so the cron job should have remained the same.
>>>
>>> For debugging, the cron job was changed somewhat so I could see the
>>> output.  This is what was received:
>>>

>>> Fatal Error:
>>> Server denied authentication.
>>> In /home/bsntech-com/www/webmail/pear/php/Horde/Smtp.php on line 423
>>> There isn't any SMTP Authentication required on our systems since
>>> anything sent from the localhost is allowed.
>>
>>You've most likely
 configured SMTP to use Horde authentication