[horde] Suggestion and Feeback on default values

Maxime Pelletier maxime.pelletier at educsa.org
Wed Dec 11 16:17:02 UTC 2013

Jan Schneider <jan <at> horde.org> writes:

> Zitat von ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa <at> isac.gov.in>:
>
> > Dear List,
> >
> > conf.php and *.local.php lets system administrators set some values as
> > default.  If user is using the Horde for the first time the default values
> > gets applied to the user.
> >
> > The user gets a option to change the values if the value is not locked.
> >
> > After experimenting with the changed values, user may desire to bring back
> > to the original or default which he does not know.
> >
> > will it be right to display the values defined in conf.php or *.local.php
> > as default values in screen where preferences are allowed to change so that
> > user sets it to the default?
> > --
> >           Regards
> >            Anant

> > Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any
> > attachments, is for
> > the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
> > privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
> > distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
> > contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
> > message.

> I cannot recall seeing any application or UI that allows for that.
> There are buttons for resetting all settings, but displaying defaults
> sounds like an aweful idea.

Hi,

Moodle is working that way.

I agree that it might not look like a good idea at first, but when I need to
change some settings in Moodle after a couple of months not touching it, a
appreciate that feature.

Everybody knows how many parameters there are in Horde. I think that it's
one of the strength of Horde. But it's easy to get confused with so many
parameters in the UI to know what you have already changed in the past. So
displaying the default value would help figuring out what has been
customized. However, this feature won't be very interesting for "black-belt"
Horde admin :)

In short, I agree with Anant.

Regards,
Maxime