[horde] No synckey could be found.

Simon B simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 17:29:57 UTC 2014

On 13 January 2014 17:13, Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:

> Quoting Simon B <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi Michael
>>
>> After upgrading to ActiveSyng 2.10.1 I noticed this in the activesync
>> log for my device on the production server (I still can't get it to
>> work on the git install).
>>
>> 2014-01-13T12:50:43+00:00 ERR: [21881] Attempting to add a collection
>>                     to the sync cache while requiring a synckey, but no
>>                     synckey could be found. Most likely a client error in
>>                     requesting a collection during PING before it has
>> issued a
>>                     SYNC.
>>
>> What does this mean?  And any idea how to fix it?
>

> It means that the client is broken and either (1) doesn't perform the
> necessary local db cleanup when it receives a status code to reset it's
> collection(s) - iOS does this - or (2) sends a PING request before all
> collections have been initialized during the initial pairing.
>
> The best way to fix is to recreate the account on the device. You could try
> simply disabling/re-enabling all collections on the device first if you
> want, but that doesn't usually work on iOS, as it stubbornly holds onto the
> internal state, even when it's asked not to.

Hi Mike

I've recreated the account more times today than I can count (and
yesterday when I removed the account and even rebooted before
recreating it).  Unfortunately it means both the email clients on my
device are broken (the native Google one (not Gmail, the other one)
and Enhanced Email.  Enhanced Email is less broken, but doesn't allow
me to create contacts.

What I see on the device is that an initial sync is done but then the
contacts later disappear (and won't reappear unless I:
- turn off the sync,
- reprovision the device in the admin/activesync.php
- turn on the sync).

Then a short time later the contacts disappear again.

Oddly the calendar entries survive unless I add/change an event and
then they too disappear.  This was working, but I don't know when it
stopped as I've been working with the git install for a while now.
One of my users used to have a similar problem which I blamed on the
network, but it went away after they got a new device.

I would have thought more people with stock ASOP devices would have
this issue...

Simon