[horde] Outlook (+ iPhone) via ActiveSync asks for password

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Jan 28 23:03:07 UTC 2014

Quoting do9man <do9man at gmail.com>:

> I use Horde 5.1.5 and configured EAS. When I configure my email account only
> on my iPhone it works well. When I use it only in Outlook 2013 it works
> well, too. But when I use my account in both (Outlook and iPhone) than
> Outlook starts to ask for password. It happens very often, sometimes it
> works though.
> What can be the reason for it?

No idea. Every connection is a new session from the server's point of
view. This means that the password MUST be transmitted to the server
on EACH request anyway, regardless of how many other clients you are
using. The only thing I can think of is that maybe there was an option
you needed to check off to remember the password?

> Too many connections maybe?

No, see above. Every connection is a new session so the password must
be sent each time. If OL is asking for it, that means that it isn't
saving it internally or the password was rejected by the server.

> Maybe because
> Outlook is not provisioning?

No. Provisioning does not affect authentication in that way.

> How could I change my configuration to prevent
> it?

Sounds like an OL issue. Perhaps google around.

FWIW, I regularly have OL running with a number of other clients at
the same time - including iOS devices.