[horde] [ActiveSync] unable to send email

Pulz, Joerg Joerg.Pulz at frm2.tum.de
Wed May 21 07:46:46 UTC 2014

----- Message from Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org> ---------
     Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 14:56:36 -0400
     From: Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>
  Subject: Re: [horde] [ActiveSync] unable to send email
       To: "Pulz, Joerg" <Joerg.Pulz at frm2.tum.de>, horde at lists.horde.org

>> Hi,
>>
>> as already said, it is and was already configured (see attached
>> screenshots).
>> It worked perfectly (with git from 2014-04-13) before i pulled from
>> github and updated today.
>>
>> As you can see in the detailed log i posted to the list, both
>> sender and recipient addresses are in the mail i compose on Android.
>
> The sender address sent from the client doesn't matter. We replace
> it with the the sender from the identity that the user prefs
> indicate to use for ActiveSync.
>
>> Is there by any chance a change in the code where the account email
>> from Android has to match the configured email for the identity?
>> This is not the case here and was no problem in previous versions.
>
> Nope, and in fact, this is the case for my personal install as well.
> The only thing the identity email is used for related to email is
> setting the From: header in SENDMAIL requests (it's also used for
> some stuff during calendar syncs).
>
> To track this down further, you should probably start looking in
> Horde_Core_ActiveSync_Driver::sendMail()

----- End message from Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org> -----

Okay, i tracked this down and found the place where it breaks.
It's most probably commit 07bdf1e2734fbf8dc876c896315375d13c0311a6

For our setup every default identity is in the form
     lastname, firstname
  -> e.g. Pulz, Joerg

The Horde WebUI displays this correct in the upper right as
     "lastname, firstname" <email address>
  -> e.g. "Pulz, Joerg" <Joerg.Pulz at frm2.tum.de>

When i try to send an email using ActiveSync i get the following
headers from the device
     ["from"]=>
     array(2) {
       ["h"]=>
       string(4) "From"
       ["v"]=>
       string(33) ""Pulz, Joerg" <jpulz at frm2.tum.de>"
     }
     ["to"]=>
     array(2) {
       ["h"]=>
       string(2) "To"
       ["v"]=>
       string(22) "Joerg.Pulz at frm2.tum.de"
     }

Right after this part of code in Horde_Core_ActiveSync_Driver::sendMail()
    1855         // Always add From: since we allow selecting the identity.
    1856         $headers->removeHeader('From');
    1857         $headers->addHeader('From', $this->_getIdentityFromAddress());

i get the following headers
     ["to"]=>
     array(2) {
       ["h"]=>
       string(2) "To"
       ["v"]=>
       string(22) "Joerg.Pulz at frm2.tum.de"
     }
     array(2) {
       ["h"]=>
       string(4) "From"
       ["v"]=>
       string(36) "Pulz, Joerg <Joerg.Pulz at frm2.tum.de>"
     }

As you can see, the double quotes around the fullname are missing,
which at the end leads to my error "Address is missing domain".

For now i just modified
Horde_Core_ActiveSync_Driver::_getIdentityFromAddress() to return
explicit double quotes around the fullname

     return '"' . $name . '" <' . $from_addr . '>';

instead of

     return $name . ' <' . $from_addr . '>';

This solves my problem for now and i can send email using ActiveSync,
but i think this is absolutely a hack and no clean solution.

A better and official fix for this problem is much appreciated.

Kind regards
Joerg