[horde] Outlook Debugging Day

Torben Dannhauer torben at dannhauer.info
Tue May 27 06:58:46 UTC 2014

<snip>

> My point isn't about WHEN, or IF it will be fixed. My point is that any workaround for Microsoft's bug that we introduce > into our code base adds to our future maintenance costs because it's something that will have to be maintained and > > worked around AGAIN, if/when it is fixed my Microsoft.
>
>>> This is not something that I'm going to do on my own time. If this is
>>> really important to your organization you could consider sponsoring
>>> the work.
>>>

>> Sponsoring would be nice, but correct me if I'm wrong, you know lot,
>> really lot products on the market use OL with the respective API to
>> send and receive emails, for now OL is THE groupware solution used in
>> Business work.

Michael, Patrick,

thanks for your extensive Outlook debugging!

I agree, that it is not Hordes "native" task to work around client bugs. However, as we see with the whole ActiveSync story, there are not many clients available following the standard strictly - many workarounds are required. As for Outlook 2013.

I absolutely agree with Michael that he cannot invest all of his time into the Outlook bugs.
@Patrick: I spent several thousand dollars from my _private pocket money_ to introduce EAS 14 support, which is required for Outlook. Maybe it is now time that you/your company spent some money to hunt down and work around some ugly Outlook bugs. Free Opensource does necessarily not mean it is free in terms of investment...

However, I recommend another approach: you can setup two accounts in your OL2013: one IMAP account for email usage (I prefer IMAP over EAS mail anyway since I thinks it is more robust), and one EAS account for contacts, tasks and calendar. Even in that setup there were enough bugs in calendar/contacts/connectivity, so let's hunt THEM down, then we can use Outlook with EAS+IMAP.

Regards from Salzburg/Austria,
Torben