[horde] 2 Topics about DMARC

sca at andreasschulze.de sca at andreasschulze.de
Tue Jun 10 09:50:22 UTC 2014

Hello Horde Developers,

1)
there is an ongoing discussion on the IETF DMARC mailing list
about if and how DMARC specification should give advises to MUA developers.

I would like to point to that discussion so the Horde development team could
participate: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dmarc/current/msg01098.html

2)
the horde mailing list - as may other lists too - do invalidate DKIM
signatures an break DMARC as as result. The DMARC Website http://dmarc.org
still give vague advice to list operator how to handle the situation:
http://dmarc.org/faq.html#s_3

I like to encourage you to follow advise #1
To achieve this simple change 3 settings for every list:

   # Do not break existing DKIM signatures
   DEFAULT_SUBJECT_PREFIX  = ""
   DEFAULT_MSG_HEADER = ""
   DEFAULT_MSG_FOOTER = ""

That will not make *every* message pass DMARC but much more then 0% as
currently.

It does not hurt really. many popular lists run in that modern mode:
postfix-users, spamassassin-users, amavisd-users and (since
yesterday¹) dovecot list too.

Thanks
Andreas

¹) http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2014-June/096547.html