[horde] greetings - some quick questions

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Jun 11 21:09:54 UTC 2014

Quoting Rick Romero <rick at havokmon.com>:

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Rick Romero <rick at havokmon.com>:

> has
>>>>

>>> You can purchase licenses from Microsoft for using the ActiveSync
>>> protocol.  There is an initial deposit, and they you pay per mailbox
>>> (which inititally comes from the deposit).  I'm not familiar with
> Zarafa,
>>> but Zimbra does not include ActiveSync support in the free version.
>>
>> For ActiveSync, it is my understanding that for a *server* (like Horde's
>> groupware stack) the license fees are not per user, but per server.
>> Client software I believe is per user. Additionally, it is also my
>> understanding that it is the provider of the software that is
>> responsible for selling the licenses (again, this would be Horde).
>>
>> We have looked into the possibility of providing licenses for
>> ActiveSync, but there needs to be a large enough demand for the licenses
>> in order for us to recoup the initial, very substantial, up-front
>> royalty fees that would be due to Microsoft.
>
> I just double checked.  It's the upfront cost, and then annual fees for
> each Mailbox (which can come from the 'down payment').
>
> I think one can finnagle a restriction by protocol (ie, only pay for
> Mailboxes which are allowed to use ActiveSync).
>
> My document is from June 2013, so the legalese/pricing structure may have
> changed (and you have to sign an NDA, so we can't really compare
> anyways).  In addition, I run a public email service that utilizes Horde,
> so I may have be given different info than Horde devs...
>
> This part of the conversation wasn't covered by the NDA:
> "Are you interested in implementing ActiveSync protocols in your email
> server that talks to mobile devices?   If so, it’s per mailbox. We can
> share it terms in more detail under an NDA."

Wow. That's good to know. This definitely changed since we last looked
at licensing it. For the record, we are not under an NDA so I can say
that the form we were given definitely shows a per "product" royalty
with a large up front payment against future royalties.

The fact that they allowed you to license Horde's use of the protocol
sort of says to me that we won't need to be offering the licenses
ourselves then.

--
mike
The Horde Project