[horde] Question about upgrading from Horde 3.3.11 to latest version

Steffen skhorde at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Fri Jun 13 09:22:56 UTC 2014

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014, Mauricio Jose T. Tecles wrote:

> ----- Mensagem de timgrooms at noacon.com ---------
>   Data: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 10:31:06 -0500
>   De: Tim Grooms <timgrooms at noacon.com>
> Assunto: [horde] Question about upgrading from Horde 3.3.11 to latest version
>     Para: horde at lists.horde.org
>
>> New to the mailing list.  Just inherited a server running Fedora 10 and
>> Horde 3.3.11.
>> Need to know the best way to go about upgrading to the latest Horde.  Do I
>> have to
>> upgrade to 4.0 first and then to 5.0 etc or is there a way to upgrade
>> directly to the
>> latest version?

I followed the same route as Mauricio.

1. I installed H5 from scratch with webmail-install and added the
configuration step by step until the H5 installation worked like expected.
Some settings can be copied from H3, some cannot. But the H3 config is a
good reference, in order to make sure you do not forget someting.

2. The data:
2.1. I copied my running H3 into a virtual machine, upgraded that to the
latest webmail 1.2 aka H3.3
release, see http://www.horde.org/apps/horde/docs/UPGRADING. There is no
need that the installation or features all work, it's all about the
database. In fact, some features did _not_ worked on this intermediate
machine, but the data were severe.

2.2 I copied the H5 install from step 1 into yet another virtual machine,
imported the H3 database, re-ran the webmail-install script, which
migrated the database, then finished with: echo y | kronolith-convert-to-utc

3. Lastly, I replaced the database of the H5 machine of step 1 with the
one of step 2.2.

As you see, I did not upgrade the H3 inplace.

--
Steffen