[horde] Handler for action "dynamicinit" does not exist.

Ernie Dunbar maillist at lightspeed.ca
Wed Jun 18 21:27:57 UTC 2014

Background: I have the latest Horde Webmail suite running on a Debian
web server that also happens to host a few hundred other domains. I had
installed a "dev" version of Horde with the intention of upgrading our
old Horde installation, because I wanted to make sure that the
transition was a smooth one. I had Horde and Imp running smoothly up to
a point, until Imp started to die with the Javascript popup message
"Handler for action "dynamicinit" does not exist." Oddly enough, Imp
actually still works - on the first login of the day. If you log out and
try to log back in, then you start getting this message again. Until the
next morning, or on another computer.

In trying to troubleshoot this problem, I searched all the code in Horde
for "dynamicInit" and found only one place where it was used: in the
file horde/imp/js/dimpbase.js

Here's the code:

 ajax: function(params) {
 /* Store the requestid locally, so we don't need to
 * round-trip to the server. We'll re-add it later. */
 var action, r_id = params.unset('requestid');
 if (this.init) {
 action = 'viewPort';
 } else {
 // action = 'dynamicInit';
 action = 'viewPort';
 if (this.uid) {
 params.set('msgload', this.uid);
 }
 this.init = true;
 }

You can see here I also changed the line 'action = dynamicInit' to
'action = viewPort'. Doing this merely changes the error message from
"Handler for action 'dynamicInit' does not exist" to "Handler for action
'viewPort' does not exist".

This is a Javascript file that is supposed to be running in the
*browser*, so I'm extra baffled as to why this error occurs, nevermind
the bizarre behaviour with some crazy 24 hour timeout. Restarting the
browser doesn't fix the problem either. I'm hoping that someone here can
decipher this stuff about storing a requestid locally in the browser and
help me fix this issue.