[horde] Imp Remote Account Status

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Jun 30 23:34:12 UTC 2014

Quoting Bastian Klein <b.klein at bkims.de>:

> Hi all!
>
> Not knowing where to look for, so i will ask here.
> Which Status has the Remote Account Feature in IMP?
>
> Is the Function near final for 6.2 or just a preview?
>
> I have a customer wanting this feature very much, but i dont think this
> state would make him happy at all.
>
> - I think for usability purpose we have to store passwords of course

No.  I can't think of another webmail that does this.

Gmail does NOT store passwords, for example.  And that's a bad example
anyway, since Gmail controls all the mail servers you can connect to
with it, so it's likely using some sort of token based-auth anyway.

Webmail != native desktop app (i.e. Thunderbird).  So the security
implementations are totally different when it comes to storing
password on the Horde/IMP server.

Implementing a secure password storage would require much extra code.
Somebody would have to sponsor that feature at a minimum.

> - Why do i have to setup a password in settings when i am prompt to give a
> password after each IMP login?

Because the password is used to auto-determine the connection
settings.  It is not stored on the server after the auto-determination
is done.

> - I think it would be a must habe feature to get info about new emails at
> least in INBOX from Remote account somewhere.
> At lease Remote Accounts(Number auf new Mails).

This exists - poll the mailbox for new mail just like any other
(local) mailbox.

michael