[horde] Garbage collection horde/static directory

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Jul 11 20:03:58 UTC 2014

Quoting Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>:

> Citeren Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>:
>>
>>> I have configured horde to cache Javascript and CSS files in the
>>> /static directory with a $conf[cachecssparams][lifetime] and
>>> $conf[cachejsparams][lifetime] of 86400 (seconds). Therefor I was
>>> surprised to see that there are files well over two months old in
>>> that directory. Are files not expired automatically?
>>
>> From comments in Horde_LoginTasks_SystemTask_GarbageCollection:
>>
>>        /* Clean out static cache files. Any user has a 0.1% chance of
>>         * triggering weekly (these static files are shared amongst all
>>         * users). */
>
> That may work well on a system with hundreds (or thousands) of
> users, but with ten users after a full year there will be a 60%
> chance that the garbage collection doesn't run. In the mean time,
> about 1.5 GB of files will be generated, wasting space on the tmpfs
> system I intended to use for it. I guess I better setup a cronjob to
> clean this out at fixed intervals instead.

I have no idea how you get "1.5 GB" as the potential data size.

This data (JS/CSS) is only created once for every version of Horde
and/or application that is installed.  Assuming you have several
upgrades during the year, that is on the order of *maybe* 10 MB, not
1500.

As a developer, I haven't cleaned my static directory out since April.
  Running git, *every* time a theme or javascript file is changed it
needs to rebuild the static file.  And my directory is at 27 MB:

slusarz at bigworm % du -BM .
27M     .

michael