[horde] How to move a pre-4.0 database to a new server

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue Aug 5 11:45:48 UTC 2014

On 8/5/2014 6:19 AM, Steffen wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014, Steve Campbell wrote:

>>> See http://www.horde.org/apps/horde/docs/UPGRADING
>>>
>>> I've exported the old database to a test system equally configured
>>> to the current system, upgraded there to 3.3.5. On a 2nd test
>>> machine I setup H5 with a config the final server is to run with. On
>>> the H5 test machine I dropped the database, imported the one from
>>> v3.3.5, then I ran webmail-install again, which upgrades the old
>>> database, but also kills the config. That database I imported to the
>>> production server.
>>>
>>> Maybe, you should run "horde-db-migrate" instead of webmail-install,
>>> but the time I migrated my servers I wasn't aware of that command.
>>>
>>> Note: I imported always the whole database by deleting the existing
>>> one and re-creating the DB from scratch. I also used the SQL export
>>> file to patch some stuff, e.g. migrated to UTF8 and changed the
>>> OWNER of the database.
>>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> I'm still not sure where to start. I've got 2 tables that have real
>> data in them on the old system, horde_prefs and turba_objects. I
>> suppose I should dump those two tables on the new server and create
>> them with dumps from the old server using mysqldump. Maybe drop the
>> entire database(?) but that seems real risky.
>>
>> After that, I'm lost. The link doesn't describe how to upgrade other
>> than incrementally upgrading from one version to another to the next,
>> and so on. I hope that doesn't mean I need to install old versions to
>> get the upgrade scripts.
>
> As Mauricio writes, since PEAR all is automatic. That is you can
> upgrade from H3.3.5 to any later version.
>
> pre3.3.5 you should upgrade step by step. I could not jump from
> webmail-1.0 to Horde 3.3.5. The upgrade broke the database.
>
> And yes, Mauricio and I do recommend to replace the existing H5
> database with the _complete_ old one and then run horde-db-migrate. Do
> both, the upgrades of the old system and the horde-db-migrate, on
> separate test servers, never on the production servers.
>
> If you do not want to drop the original H5 table, just rename it.
> _Never_ try to fiddle an old table into a current database, that won't
> work.

Thanks all,

Current version of Horde = 2.2.3-1, Imp = 3.3.1-1, turba = 1.2-1. I
believe that is all that is running on the old server.

Since the link points to upgrading Horde starting with 3.0 -> 3.1, how
should I start to get myself to 3.5?

I can't find the "scripts/upgrades" directory or files that the linked
page references on my new server.

steve