[horde] How to move a pre-4.0 database to a new server

Steffen skhorde at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Tue Aug 5 10:19:48 UTC 2014

On Mon, 4 Aug 2014, Steve Campbell wrote:
> On 8/4/2014 8:30 AM, Steffen wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014, Steve Campbell wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering what needs to be considered to move a pre-4.0 MySQL
>>> database to a new server for IMP users. We only used IMP from the old
>>> framework.
>>
>>> Should I be able to export the old data and import it into the new
>>> database or has the database changed significantly?
>>
>> See http://www.horde.org/apps/horde/docs/UPGRADING
>>
>> I've exported the old database to a test system equally configured to the
>> current system, upgraded there to 3.3.5. On a 2nd test machine I setup H5
>> with a config the final server is to run with. On the H5 test machine I
>> dropped the database, imported the one from v3.3.5, then I ran
>> webmail-install again, which upgrades the old database, but also kills the
>> config. That database I imported to the production server.
>>
>> Maybe, you should run "horde-db-migrate" instead of webmail-install, but
>> the time I migrated my servers I wasn't aware of that command.
>>
>> Note: I imported always the whole database by deleting the existing one and
>> re-creating the DB from scratch. I also used the SQL export file to patch
>> some stuff, e.g. migrated to UTF8 and changed the OWNER of the database.
>>
> Thanks,
>
> I'm still not sure where to start. I've got 2 tables that have real data in
> them on the old system, horde_prefs and turba_objects. I suppose I should
> dump those two tables on the new server and create them with dumps from the
> old server using mysqldump. Maybe drop the entire database(?) but that seems
> real risky.
>
> After that, I'm lost. The link doesn't describe how to upgrade other than
> incrementally upgrading from one version to another to the next, and so on. I
> hope that doesn't mean I need to install old versions to get the upgrade
> scripts.

As Mauricio writes, since PEAR all is automatic. That is you can upgrade
from H3.3.5 to any later version.

pre3.3.5 you should upgrade step by step. I could not jump from
webmail-1.0 to Horde 3.3.5. The upgrade broke the database.

And yes, Mauricio and I do recommend to replace the existing H5 database
with the _complete_ old one and then run horde-db-migrate. Do both, the
upgrades of the old system and the horde-db-migrate, on separate test
servers, never on the production servers.

If you do not want to drop the original H5 table, just rename it. _Never_
try to fiddle an old table into a current database, that won't work.

--
Steffen