[horde] [imp] content of an email with many recipients is not shown

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Aug 8 17:05:47 UTC 2014

Quoting Pulz, Joerg <Joerg.Pulz at frm2.tum.de>:

> Hi list,
>
> i have a strange behavior with latest Horde pulled from github today
> (can't say if this problem existed before).
>
> I received an email yesterday that the composer has sent to 66
> addresses, 61 of them in the To: field and 5 addresses in the CC:
> field.

I have an example test message that has something like 21,000
addresses and IMP has no problems displaying it (and doesn't use much
memory either).  So it's almost certainly not an issue with the # of
addresses.  (We have a unit test for the Horde_Mail library - where
addresses are parsed - that handles 5000 addresses and it passes just
fine).

> I'm able to view this email with other clients (Thunderbird, alpine,
> Android) but not with IMP.
>
> If i click on this email in IMP, the message part of the window just
> stays empty.
> If i double clock this email, the newly opened window is just empty.
> If i click on another email first and then click on the problematic
> one, the text of the previously selected email is still displayed
> but if i then use "Other Options / View Source" the source of the
> problematic email is displayed.

This sounds like PHP is crashing.  If IMP has problems parsing an
error message, this will be cleared.  Looks like there is a bug in our
error handling when the response from the server is completely invalid.

> Other people told me, that this is not only related to this one
> email but to other emails with a large number of recipients too.

Need actual error messages from Horde/PHP and the source of a message.
  This discussion is also best moved to a ticket on
http://bugs.horde.org

michael