[horde] PostgreSQL script missing...

Simon B simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 17:39:29 UTC 2014

On 15 Aug 2014 18:51, "Michael Robinson" <plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-08-15 at 07:38 +0200, Simon B wrote:

> > documentation.

> > using
> > for

> > > Did I say something wrong?  Why is MySQL pretty well documented but
> > > PostgreSQL isn't?  I've created a horde user, I've set a password,
> > I've
> > > been using PostgreSQL with Horde for over a decade.  Fix the
> > > documentation for Horde, there should at least be help for people
> > who
> > > have to figure out what is causing the trouble in the form of
> > > suggestions about how to search in google or what to look for
> > > concerning PostgreSQL.  Saying this is too challenging for you, give
> > up
> > > is hardly what I call support and it is very insulting.
> >
> > Because your one-liner demanding instructions to developers who
> > provide free software and free support wasn't the least bit
> > insulting?
> >
> > MySQL is pretty well documented because more people use it.  On any
> > open source product I've ever used, postgresql  has been for
> > experts.
> >
> > Not to mention that if you've been using it with horde for 10 years
> > you're perfectly placed to improve the documentation and contribute
> > back to the project.
> >
> > Instructions on how to Google are beyond the scope of most help
> > forums...
> >
> > I've never used postgresql but the second link down looks
> > comprehensive...
> > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=horde+postgresql+database+setup
> >

> > Simon
>
> That documentation might have worked ten years ago, but it doesn't
> today.  Horde 5.2.1 as I understand it is supposed to create the
> database automatically.  There was nothing advanced in the Horde 3
> days about using PostgreSQL.  Something has obviously changed where
> the documentation on the web hasn't.  The create the database step is
> erroneous because the scripts directory is gone in Horde 5.2.  My
> database of choice is supposed to be supported, better in fact than
> MySQL because it is a better database.

>From the install instructions...

4. Creating databases

   Once you created the database configuration in the previous step, you
can create all database tables by hitting the ``Update all DB schemas``
button in the configuration screen.

  * Please note that this requires the database that you entered in the
database configuration to already exist, and the configured database user
to have sufficient permissions to create new tables in this database.*

Emphasis mine...

https://github.com/horde/horde/blob/master/horde/docs/INSTALL

You create the database.
You make sure the user you configure horde to use has the right permissions.
You press the button.
Horde only creates the tables.

> With all due respect, I am asking on the public mailing list how to set
> up PostgreSQL and I never said I am not willing to pay a reasonable
> amount to get the information if necessary.  Rudeness is uncalled for
> and will only serve to drive people away from open source products.

You're not asking, you're demanding.  You're clearly not doing anything to
look for the answers either.  Entitlement only serves to drive away
developers who develop and support for free.

Simon