[horde] Incorrect English (I believe) in your mailing - IMPORTANT - Re: horde Digest, Vol 4146, Issue 2

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Sun Nov 2 23:49:35 UTC 2014

Quoting Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>:

> Citeren "Jens-U. Mozdzen" <jmozdzen at nde.ag>:
>
>> Hello Jan and Ed,
>>
>> Zitat von Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:
>>> Stable releases had actually been called final (as opposed to the
>>> unstable release candidates), since long before I (being the
>>> German) have been taking the role of the release master.
>>> [...]
>>> Zitat von info at interpost.biz:

>> taking the role of the bean counter here (or devil's advocate?),
>> I'd like to point out that the wording is actually correct: This
>> *is* the latest (as in "no further") release of Mnemo Note Manager
>> version H5 (4.2.2). Future releases will carry a different version
>> number. ;)
>
> I have to agree with the above. Occasionally, these final releases
> are preceded by a couple of beta versions and/or release candidates
> with the same version number. I have always regarded the 'final'
> here, that there will be no further releases with this same number.
>
> Best regards, Arjen

"Final" is grammatically correct here.  The "release" refers to the
process leading up to any individual point release.  The last release
made within any given x.y.z domain - the stable release - is the
"final" release.

That being said, most users don't know/care about the release process,
so "final" may lack the necessary context for them.

I would think the best solution is simply to remove the word "final".
"The Horde Team is pleased to announce the release of XYZ..." is
adequate for our purposes.

michael