[horde] Empty window opening S/MIME signed messages

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Nov 24 22:16:20 UTC 2014

Quoting Jānis <je at ktf.rtu.lv>:

> Citēts Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
> Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:20:28 -0700:
>
>> Quoting Jānis <je at ktf.rtu.lv>:
>>
>>> Citēts Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
>>> Sun, 23 Nov 2014 11:20:07 -0700:

>>> no way while there is no clarity on how I can have my notes
>>> collection nicely visually organized without involving searching
>>> any time I need to get something from the collection. I better
>>> read such e-mails from console or not at all than loose Categories.
>>>
>>> I got this problem after "upgrade" to 5.2. and immediate return to
>>> 5.1.6 finding Categories replaced by tags. There is obvious
>>> Imp-6.1.7's incompatibility with some more recent libs installed
>>> during "upgrade" as there is no option of forced install of older
>>> versions having _their dependencies_ automatically resolved.
>>
>> Regardless of your thoughts about Horde's upgrade process (which
>> are irrelevant for the current topic), you asked a question about a
>> specific PHP error in an old version of the software.
>>
>> The only way you are going to get meaningful support for errors
>> like this are either:
>>
>> 1.) Upgrading to the current version of the software and verifying
>> that the error remains unfixed/reproducible
>> 2.) Tracing/fixing the error yourself
>
> Dear Michael,
>
> all I am asking for the 5th or 6th time is just the list of the
> versions of modules compatible with Horde 5.1.6.

The package.xml files list all dependencies and *minimum* versions of
all dependencies that are required.

> That's all - all the rest I'll do on myself.
>
> Don't you as developers keep track on what you develop?

Of course we do. It's documented/tracked in each package's package.xml file.

> Why there is no compatibility info about it on the
> http://pear.horde.org/ page? If the information on modules'
> compatibility is automatically classified as the younger version of
> it is out, it should be mentioned somewhere.

As stated, dependencies are listed in package.xml files and dictate
the *minimum* version of any package that is required.

> As I say for the 3rd or 4th time - before upgrade from 5.1.5 to
> 5.2.1 and (slightly unlucky) reverting back I had no problems with
> S/MIME signed messages.
>
> I don't understand why you are so against the idea that some of your
> long time users feel good about the old, stable, tested versions
> with their specific bells and whistles and do not long for the most
> bright and shiny thingies?

What makes you think we are against this? Bugs are fixed, new versions
released. We are NOT going to waste time debugging an issue that may
or may not have been fixed in a more recent version of some package.
Bug fixes/reports/inquires are always going to be done against most
recent stable code.  There is no other sane way to operate.

> Janis
>
> P.S. How can I trace any problem created by you (as team) and key to
> it being kept behind 7 keys? I traced it as fas as I could and I do
> not plant to go for reverse engineering, just to go forward I need
> this compatibility list of previous stable release. For the 7th time.

PEAR will not let you install a package that is not compatible with
another installed package's dependencies. So, unless you are "forcing"
PEAR to install a pacakge with unsatisfied dependencies, your packages
are guaranteed to be compatible. There is no need to maintain a list
like this and, in fact, would be next to impossible to maintain.