[horde] Apache Performance tuning with Horde

Torben Dannhauer torben at dannhauer.info
Thu Dec 4 11:07:44 UTC 2014

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: horde [mailto:horde-bounces at lists.horde.org] Im Auftrag von Patrick De
Zordo
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 4. Dezember 2014 11:37
An: horde at lists.horde.org
Betreff: [horde] Apache Performance tuning with Horde

Dear guys,

I am wondering since I have installed Horde if there are some proofed apache
performance tuning guidelines.

Short test system description:

-          1 CPU, 2GB RAM, SSD HDD

-          Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Every time an ActiveSync client connects to the Horde server it keeps an
apache process up to nearly 100% CPU consumption for about 10 seconds and
makes some disk readings in the meantime. I think it is because Horde have
to look through all the IMAP structure for changed since last sync. Is my
assumption true?

Now, suppose there are 10 users opening their Outlook ActiveSync client at
the same time.. the server will not be able to process other requests
anymore; it will just get stuck till all the 10 clients have done the IMAP
parsing.

We have enabled the apache2 PHP 5.5.9 internal OpCache + local Memcached.

Is there a possibility to speed up things? Any caching on IMAP-side?

Is this behavior just because we are using a single processor environment?

Thank you very much for your help!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Distinti saluti / Kind regards

De Zordo Patrick

 <mailto:patrick at spamreducer.eu> patrick at spamreducer.eu

---------------------------

Please use S/MIME encryption when writing to me, it’s a big security
benefit!

The Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) protocol to
digitally sign or encrypt emails. S/MIME Encryption provides message
integrity, authentication, privacy via data encryption, and non-repudiation
via digital signatures. Most mail clients support S/MIME, such as Microsoft
Outlook, Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Lotus Notes, and Mulberry Mail.

In detail it prevents tampering of email content, prove message origin,
prevent exposure of email content, flexible and secure communication, easy
to implement

---------------------------

Hi,
What Kind of IMAP server do you use?
I use Dovecot, and Dovecot caches quite extensive, I do not have a
significant load serving ~ 30 EAS clients via horde.

My setup:
Debian Jessie (frozen Testing)
Apache 2.4.10
PHP 5.6.2 as PHP-fpm via mod_proxy_fcgi; opcache enabled

Have you tried discover WHICH process causes the file IO? (e.g. via iotop,
ps, etc etc etc)
Maybe you can detect whether the apache/PHP or the IMAP server causes the
load..

Regards,
Torben