[horde] Best timing settings for Horde ActiveSync

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sat Jan 10 15:33:07 UTC 2015

Quoting Patrick De Zordo <patrick at spamreducer.eu>:

> Hi guys,
>
> having some Outlook2013 (Outlook15) clients connected to our server over
> ActiceSync we have noticed a growing delay between IMAP incoming messages
> and the time when they are shown in Outlook. It seems, Outlook is slowing
> down ping requests over time when no new messages are coming in for about
> half an hour.
>
> (this time was not measured, it just noticed it because my smartphone was
> "beeping" and my Outlook client was opening the "new message popup" just
> minutes later..)
>

> So maybe the "ping" settings should be adjusted/tuned.
>

> What are the "best" or maybe good ping settings?
>

> Thank you very much!
>

> Patrick.

The best thing to do is to allow the device to manage the heartbeat
unless you have a really good reason for not doing so.  The heartbeat
interval indicates the amount of time that a PING (or looping SYNC) is
allowed to run (thus keeping a connection open on the webserver) if no
changes are encountered. It doesn't have anything to do with how long
after the request completes that another request is issued.

You should tail the synclog of a OL2013 client and see what request is
running when you see this slowdown. If there is an active PING or
looping SYNC running and you are seeing this delay, it could be that
decreasing the "waitinterval" might help. This determines the number
of seconds that the server sleeps between each iteration of the loop
that checks for changes within a single PING/SYNC request. Though this
value is used for every request (and is not something the client
controls) so I'm not sure why it would affect OL and not other clients.

If you notice a delay in the time between the end of one PING and the
start of the next, then there is nothing we can do server-side to
change that.

--
mike
The Horde Project