[horde] A hi from a new user

Maurice Kellenaers maurice at gkbikes.eu
Fri Feb 13 10:39:21 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I have recently installed horde on my webserver, mainly to have a
shared calendar app and I was pleasantly surprised to have a simple,
intuitive and nice interface. Other groupware suites were tried in the
last year but none were good for me; either too bloated or missing
items. After a quick test I have decided to use this program for
'production' (quotes added because it's for my family of five only).
It all worked out of the box for me without extensive editing of the
config. Later I have added the IMP (mail) module.

However, I do have a few rants. Nothing serious but I do want to share
them (maybe I have overlooked an option/setting/something else).
- The first thing is that I can't create a task from a calendar
appointment. As far as I have read the docs, this is on the
roadmap/todo list. That is fine by me, so it will come in the future.
- The second thing is the enormous amount of configuration items. I
believe this can be simplified.
- The last rant and also nearly a showstopper for me, came up when
figuring out the mailconfig. I broke the config a few times and had to
'redo from start' by recovering from backup config. This can be imho
avoided when the admin account is used only for setup and configuring
and it's credentials stored in a separate file outside of the userbase
so it's availlable even when the whole thing crashes due to wrong
configuration/database crash. True, it can create a security risk this
way. but maybe a thing for the developers to think about.

Yours, Maurice.