[horde] A hi from a new user

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Feb 13 13:28:07 UTC 2015

Zitat von Maurice Kellenaers <maurice at gkbikes.eu>:

> Hi all,
>
> I have recently installed horde on my webserver, mainly to have a
> shared calendar app and I was pleasantly surprised to have a simple,
> intuitive and nice interface. Other groupware suites were tried in
> the last year but none were good for me; either too bloated or
> missing items. After a quick test I have decided to use this program
> for 'production' (quotes added because it's for my family of five
> only). It all worked out of the box for me without extensive editing
> of the config. Later I have added the IMP (mail) module.
>
> However, I do have a few rants. Nothing serious but I do want to
> share them (maybe I have overlooked an option/setting/something else).
> - The first thing is that I can't create a task from a calendar
> appointment. As far as I have read the docs, this is on the
> roadmap/todo list. That is fine by me, so it will come in the future.

Not sure what exactly you mean with creating a task from an
appointment, but what's on the roadmap is just to merge the tasks and
calendar applications. This is just a technical thing and won't change
anything from the user's perspective.

> - The second thing is the enormous amount of configuration items. I
> believe this can be simplified.

No.

> - The last rant and also nearly a showstopper for me, came up when
> figuring out the mailconfig. I broke the config a few times and had
> to 'redo from start' by recovering from backup config. This can be
> imho avoided when the admin account is used only for setup and
> configuring and it's credentials stored in a separate file outside
> of the userbase so it's availlable even when the whole thing crashes
> due to wrong configuration/database crash. True, it can create a
> security risk this way. but maybe a thing for the developers to
> think about.

There's always a backup from the last configuration created, that you
can revert to. Either manually, if you cannot login anymore, or even
from within the configuration section.

--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project