[horde] A hi from a new user

Maurice Kellenaers maurice at gkbikes.eu
Sat Feb 14 08:15:49 UTC 2015

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have recently installed horde on my webserver, mainly to have a
>> shared calendar app and I was pleasantly surprised to have a
>> simple,  intuitive and nice interface. Other groupware suites were
>> tried in  the last year but none were good for me; either too
>> bloated or  missing items. After a quick test I have decided to use
>> this program  for 'production' (quotes added because it's for my
>> family of five  only). It all worked out of the box for me without
>> extensive editing  of the config. Later I have added the IMP (mail)
>> module.
>>
>> However, I do have a few rants. Nothing serious but I do want to
>> share them (maybe I have overlooked an option/setting/something
>> else).
>> - The first thing is that I can't create a task from a calendar
>> appointment. As far as I have read the docs, this is on the
>> roadmap/todo list. That is fine by me, so it will come in the future.
>
> Not sure what exactly you mean with creating a task from an
> appointment, but what's on the roadmap is just to merge the tasks
> and  calendar applications. This is just a technical thing and won't
> change  anything from the user's perspective.

Let's say for example there is an appointment X on March 20, black tie
dresscode.
The appointment is in the calendar.
create task from appointment on feb 16; "call for tux", create task
from appointment on March 19;"pick up tux"
So when clicking on/creating appointment, the possibility to create a
task(s) with the appointment in the calendar as parent.

>> - The second thing is the enormous amount of configuration items. I
>>  believe this can be simplified.
>
> No.

okay.

>> - The last rant and also nearly a showstopper for me, came up when
>> figuring out the mailconfig. I broke the config a few times and had
>>  to 'redo from start' by recovering from backup config. This can be
>>  imho avoided when the admin account is used only for setup and
>> configuring and it's credentials stored in a separate file outside
>> of the userbase so it's availlable even when the whole thing
>> crashes  due to wrong configuration/database crash. True, it can
>> create a  security risk this way. but maybe a thing for the
>> developers to  think about.
>
> There's always a backup from the last configuration created, that
> you  can revert to. Either manually, if you cannot login anymore, or
> even  from within the configuration section.

okay, developpers' choice. no real problems with that. Once
configured, you never have to look at it again unless something changes.