[horde] smime question, how does horde check certs

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Thu Mar 19 13:40:57 UTC 2015

Please do not top-post.

Citeren Jan Eberhardt <j.eberhardt at hrz.uni-frankfurt.de>:

> My Use-Case is the following:
>
> User 1 and User 2 are user of the same horde instance.
>
> User 1: Uploads his public certificate to horde and sends a
> encrypted message to user 2 (Note: user 2 does not have the public
> cert of user 1)
>
> User 2: Receives the encrypted message from user 1, horde should
> check the public certificate of user 1 and iff valid use it to
> encrypt the message from user 1.

Asymmetric key uncryption doesn't work this way (neither for PGP nor
for S/MIME). In order to *send* encrypted messages, you need to have
access to the public keys of all recipients (including yourself)
*before* you send your message. To decrypt an encrypted message, you
only need your own private key (and you already have that, don't you?)

> I want that horde checks the public certs it knows about, to decrypt
> encrypted messages a user receives from another.

Again, you don't need public keys to decrypt messages. You need public
keys when you want to check the signatures that are attached to
messages, but these will usually be appended to the message already,
so there is no need to grab them. I can perfectly well verify the
signatures on incoming S/MIME signed messages without ever bothering
about public keys. You only want to check the validity of the public
key (and that's where OCSP may come into play) when verifying
signatures.

> I also want, that User 2 can send a encrypted message to User 1,
> without sending User 1 his public cert in advance.

See above. This is not how assymetric encryption works.