[horde] Howto do a full horde groupware backup of user data (email, calendar, address books, notes...)

Wolf Moestl wolf.moestl at gmail.com
Fri May 15 09:11:36 UTC 2015

Hi everybody,

I’m struggling on  backup the whole horde groupware suite:

   - Email (IMP)
   - Calendar (Kronolith)
   - Address Book (Turba)
   - Notes (Mnemo)

The scenario is like the following:

   - Do a full backup of user data regarding the whole horde groupware
   suite …
   - … including 20+ users
   - … in an automated manner
   - … without user interaction
   - … on a debian wheezy system.

In terms of email/IMP (which is a courier mail server in my case) I guess
it’s sufficient to backup the courier maildir (/var/qmail/mailnames/*)
using rsync to another place / server.

In Terms oft he other suite applications I’ve only found the solution
proposed by Robert Schetterer (
https://sys4.de/en/blog/2013/11/13/backup-von-horde-adressbuechern/ ),
which boils down to do a wget on the URL
https://horde.example.com/rpc.php/turba/$USER/. As this suggestion needs
the password for each and every user this is not an option.

Encouraging all users to do a manual backup using the horde web features is
also not an option as I’m looking for a fully automated solution.

Please note that I'm not talking about backup of the horde installation and
configuration, I want to backup the user data.

I checked the Wiki and did extensive web research includin the mailing
list, but I was not able to found a solution.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Wolf