[horde] Howto do a full horde groupware backup of user data (email, calendar, address books, notes...)

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Fri May 15 12:11:27 UTC 2015

Citeren Wolf Moestl <wolf.moestl at gmail.com>:

> Hi everybody,
>

> I’m struggling on  backup the whole horde groupware suite:
>

>    - Email (IMP)
>    - Calendar (Kronolith)
>    - Address Book (Turba)
>    - Notes (Mnemo)
>

> The scenario is like the following:
>

>    - Do a full backup of user data regarding the whole horde groupware
>    suite …
>    - … including 20+ users
>    - … in an automated manner
>    - … without user interaction
>    - … on a debian wheezy system.
>

> In terms of email/IMP (which is a courier mail server in my case) I guess
> it’s sufficient to backup the courier maildir (/var/qmail/mailnames/*)
> using rsync to another place / server.
>

> In Terms oft he other suite applications I’ve only found the solution
> proposed by Robert Schetterer (
> https://sys4.de/en/blog/2013/11/13/backup-von-horde-adressbuechern/ ),
> which boils down to do a wget on the URL
> https://horde.example.com/rpc.php/turba/$USER/. As this suggestion needs
> the password for each and every user this is not an option.
>
> Encouraging all users to do a manual backup using the horde web features is
> also not an option as I’m looking for a fully automated solution.
>

> Please note that I'm not talking about backup of the horde installation and
> configuration, I want to backup the user data.
>

> I checked the Wiki and did extensive web research includin the mailing
> list, but I was not able to found a solution.
>
> Any suggestions?

Use whatever tool is used for the database you use. I use MySQL, so in
my case that's mysqldump. Given the number of users, I wouldn't bother
selecting what to backup and what not, just backup the whole horde
database. This is easily automated in a cronjob. If you're using a
different database, backup/restore utilities are usually part of it.