[horde] Howto do a full horde groupware backup of user data (email, calendar, address books, notes...)

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Fri May 15 15:07:09 UTC 2015

Please keep discussions on list.

Quoting Wolf Moestl <wolf.moestl at gmail.com>:

>> Quoting Steffen <skhorde at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de>:
>>
>>  On Fri, 15 May 2015, Wolf Moestl wrote:
>>>
>>>  Please note that I'm not talking about backup of the horde installation

>>> There is none, IMHO. You can make a SQL dump for all user data, but there
>>> is no way to selectively backup or restore data.
>>>

> That's too bad. What's the benefit of a great groupware solution if one can
> not manage it?
> Things like removing/backup/restore all data for a specific user should be
> supportes out of the box.

Well, feel free to sponsor such a feature or provide a patch.

Keep in mind that any solution would need to work through Horde's API
and work with any of Horde's available storage backends, for all
systems that would need to be backed up. This can include anything
from SQL, IMAP, IMSP, LDAP, NoSQL, filebased storage and any
interconnections between any "recovered" objects such as permissions
etc... Also, as already indicated in some cases it won't be possible
to recover properly due to things like autoincrement fields and such.

>> I believe there is an open enhancement request for "undoable" deletions in
>> at least kronolith if you'd like to possibly support the development of
>> that.
>>
>> Otherwise, it probably wouldn't be TOO difficult to write a CLI script to
>> interact with some secondary, backup database and select data to retrieve.
>> The problem is that some data might be linked somehow to other data via
>> external and/or auto increment keys and such, so depending on the situation
>> it might not be a simple matter of re-inserting the data into the
>> appropriate tables.
>>
> Agree, maybe it's not too difficult to write such a thing. But why is there
> no architected and designed management functionality besides configuration?
> If you have to maintain horde as an admin you need those things.

Again, feel free to sponsor this feature if it's a requirement for you.

--
mike
The Horde Project