[horde] Future of Horde

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Jun 24 08:24:43 UTC 2015

On 23.06.2015 15:51, Michael J Rubinsky wrote:

> Quoting Martin Skjöldebrand <martin at skjoldebrand.eu>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Greetings from a new user and email admin.
>> (Well I ran a sendmail server at the office many years ago but anyway...)
>>
>> I've set up a mail server using Postfix, Courier and Horde for the
>> familly mail (moving away from a borked hosting mail and GMail). Of
>> the webmail alternatives (SquirrelMail, Roundcube and Horde) the only
>> one I got to work properly is Horde (Roundcube timed out when sending
>> despite putting hours into configuration trouble shooting, Squirrel
>> didn't officially time out but did send anything either) which sent
>> mail on default installation.
>>
>> Looking at the community material some of it seems somewhat dated. I
>> found a plan for Horde 6 mentioning CAlDAV for example which already
>> is implemented in version 5 unless I am totally misunderstanding
>> things. Which usually is very likely.
>
> The official roadmaps are at http://horde.org. You are probably looking
> at http://www.horde.org/apps/webmail/roadmap which is kind of a
> combination roadmap of all of the various Horde applications that go
> into the Groupware bundle. The CalDAV items listed there are for
> *client* support, along with some Dav support for Notes which doesn't
> exist in the 5.* line. The CalDAV support in Horde 5 is *server* support
> (so other clients can connect to Horde as a *Dav server).
>

>> Also, the darling of the webmail world at the moment (apart from
>> GMail) seems to be Roundcube.
>
> Oh, I don't know about that.... :)
>

>> So, what is the status of Horde at this time? It all seems to work
>> brilliantly for me at the moment.
>
> We are alive, well, and very active; Working hard and tirelessly towards
> Horde 6.

As a company who sponsor and actively use horde, we`re still very
confident with the horde apps and library stack. My schedule is very
challenging for the forseeable future though, so my personal commitment
is a little unclear. I have automated RPM distribution packaging to the
point where I only occassionally look at the public rolling repository
if something goes wrong.

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/isv:B1-Systems:Horde5:rolling
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/isv:B1-Systems:Horde5:opensuse-appliance/groupware-image-13.2

I will most likely delegate some upstream-involvement with patches and
wishlist features to another person inside B1.

Some time ago I heard about plans to provide an automated bootstrap for
development environments, maybe based on docker or the likes - any WIP
stuff to look at currently?

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer