[horde] Blocked ActiveSync Devices

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Fri Jun 26 14:09:57 UTC 2015

Quoting Marc Cheptea <marc.cheptea at spamina.com>:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to block an ActiveSync device in horde and I'm having
> some problems. The device is blocked successfully and cannot get
> updates. However it seems blocked devices keep re-connecting
> continuously. These requests use an extreme amount of resources on
> my test server (load average 4.66, on a 1 core VM). Most of which
> are used up by Apache while processing the device's requests.
>
> Looking in my apache access.log, I'm seeing that the device is
> sending 4 requests/second continuously until blocked. See excerpt
> below:
>
> /"OPTIONS /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync HTTP/1.1" 200 933 "-"
> "Apple-iPhone...."
> "POST
> /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?User=demo at user.com&DeviceId=AJHG56a6daS&DeviceType=iPhone&Cmd=Settings HTTP/1.1" 200 714 "-"
> "Apple-iPhone..."
> "POST
> /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?User=demo at user.com&DeviceId=AJHG56a6daS&DeviceType=iPhone&Cmd=Provision HTTP/1.1" 200 650 "-"
> "Apple-iPhone..."
> "POST
> /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?User=demo at user.com&DeviceId=AJHG56a6daS&DeviceType=iPhone&Cmd=Sync HTTP/1.1" 449 1002 "-"
> "Apple-iPhone..."/
>
> Is this the normal behaviour? Is there a way to tell the device it
> should try to attempt sync after 5min?
>
> My problem is that I have multiple devices I would like to block and
> this behavior will kill my web server.

We send the appropriate status codes (well, at least we are supposed
to), that tell the client the reason for the rejection (authentication
error, blocked via permissions etc..). Please attache the activesync
log of a blocked client so I can verify this is indeed happening
correctly. If it is, there is not much we can do to prevent the device
from attempting to connect from within Horde.

--
mike
The Horde Project