[horde] Blocked ActiveSync Devices

Marc Cheptea marc.cheptea at spamina.com
Fri Jun 26 13:15:08 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

I am trying to block an ActiveSync device in horde and I'm having some
problems. The device is blocked successfully and cannot get updates.
However it seems blocked devices keep re-connecting continuously. These
requests use an extreme amount of resources on my test server (load
average 4.66, on a 1 core VM). Most of which are used up by Apache while
processing the device's requests.

Looking in my apache access.log, I'm seeing that the device is sending 4
requests/second continuously until blocked. See excerpt below:

/"OPTIONS /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync HTTP/1.1" 200 933 "-"
"Apple-iPhone...."
"POST
/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?User=demo at user.com&DeviceId=AJHG56a6daS&DeviceType=iPhone&Cmd=Settings
HTTP/1.1" 200 714 "-" "Apple-iPhone..."
"POST
/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?User=demo at user.com&DeviceId=AJHG56a6daS&DeviceType=iPhone&Cmd=Provision
HTTP/1.1" 200 650 "-" "Apple-iPhone..."
"POST
/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?User=demo at user.com&DeviceId=AJHG56a6daS&DeviceType=iPhone&Cmd=Sync
HTTP/1.1" 449 1002 "-" "Apple-iPhone..."/

Is this the normal behaviour? Is there a way to tell the device it
should try to attempt sync after 5min?

My problem is that I have multiple devices I would like to block and
this behavior will kill my web server.

Best regards,
Mark