[horde] Could not save horde_dir configuration value to PEAR config (Installing Horde)

L. D. James ljames at apollo3.com
Sat Jun 27 10:41:54 UTC 2015

On 06/27/2015 05:49 AM, L. D. James wrote:
> The machines are mine.  I run an online service and have since the
> late 80's.  I used the "#" sign at the bottom to indicate that the
> commands were performed from the root command.
>
> I originally installed Horde on this machine a little over a year ago
> using Ubuntu's repositories.  I had problems and the mailing list gave
> me the Pear steps to perform the installation.  They spoke against
> using the repositories for the install.  So to have support I followed
> the steps provided.
>
> I tried for nearly a month on two machines.  I finally built a special
> machine just for Horde and was able to successfully install it using
> Pear.  Now I'm trying to consolidate some of my services on my main
> server.  So I'm revisiting trying to get Horde operating on this server.
>
> After spending a number of hours, I tried again on a clean Ubuntu
> install, this time in a Virtual Box.  The install went flawlessly.
>
> So I cleaned all of Horde out of my main server, and started again. I
> get the same error.  I tried to uninstall Pear, but it won't without
> my uninstalling many applications of which would take me days to
> reinstall and reconfigure.
>
> Thanks for the input and suggestion.  I'll have to look into the
> "build your own pear config" resolution.
>
> -- L. James
>
> --
> L. D. James
> ljames at apollo3.com
> www.apollo3.com/~ljames
>
> On 06/27/2015 03:10 AM, OnkelM wrote:
>>
>> This usually means you are running pear with lower privileges. Are
>> you root? Do you have installed pear correctly?
>>
>> If this is not your server or you dont have root access, then you
>> have to build your own pear config and install it to your own new
>> pear location. After that you have to use your new pear binary AND
>> your new pear config to work with it like to channel-discover or
>> run-scripts
>>

>> L. D. James <ljames at apollo3.com <mailto:ljames at apollo3.com>> schrieb
>> am Sa., 27. Juni 2015 01:03:
>>
>>     I'm having problems installing horde on two servers. I'm getting the
>>     same error on both servers:
>>
>>     Could not save horde_dir configuration value to PEAR config.
>>
>>     The OS of the current server I'm trying the install is: Ubuntu
>> 14.04.
>>
>>     I'm following the install guide in the Horde Docs.
>>
>>     The following commands work:
>>
>>     # pear upgrade PEAR
>>     # pear channel-discover pear.horde.org <http://pear.horde.org>
>>     # pear install horde/horde_role
>>
>>     On the last command above I get the "could not save horde_dir"
>> error.
>>
>>     Is there something I can manually edit to enter this directory?
>>
>>     By the way, I tested the same steps in a Virtual Ubuntu box and the
>>     install succeeded.  I've spent hours trying to figure out the
>>     difference
>>     between the three OS installs.
>>
>>     Thanks in advance for anyone who has any suggestions or input.

> [...]
Thanks OnkelM.  I took your advice and made a local copy of Pear and the
install went just as it always has on a fresh Ubuntu install.

For my local install I made a script called "mypear" and followed the
original steps.

My script is:

----------------------------------
#!/bin/bash

/var/www/horde/pear/pear -c /var/www/horde/pear.conf $*
----------------------------------

I wish I knew what was going wrong with the original Pear, so that if
the problem arises again with a different application I'd know how to
correct it.

If I ever discover the culprit or the fix I'll revisit this thread and
post it.

Thanks again!

Have a nice day.

-- L. James