[horde] Newbie to Horde with Ambitions

Jens Hellermann hellermann at we-do.com
Fri Jul 10 11:08:58 UTC 2015

Dear Horde List Members.

I'm a total newbie to Horde Groupware and I put quite some hopes into
this amazing open source product. So maybe I'll give you some rough
specs of my environment and my project target first:

I took over my current IT job a year ago, and faced a mixed client
environment of Windows 7 and Mac OSX clients which were connected to
several servers. File sharing based mainly on two gentoo linux machines
with SAMBA 4 but without Active Directory \ LDAP configuration. Emails
were just fetched from the povider using mostly pop3 and sometimes imap
without any backup or archiving methods on the side of the provider (nor
in the company).

The hardware of the servers was more than 5 years old, whereas the
client situation was good with mostly renewed, standardized and up to
date workspaces.

Expectations brought to me where quite high bringing in new ideas and
functionality to the environment. Mainly educated as a classical Windows
system administrator I decided to introduce following changes:

- introducing a virtualisation environment (I chose Proxmox VE wich is
momentarily on newest Version 3.4) connected to a NAS System via ISCSI
and NFS shares to devide the virtualisation platform from the data
- introducing Active directory based on SAMBA 4
- introducing a groupware emails server with central calendar management
(decision for linux based one, as exchange doesn't work well with the
Mac OSX clients)
- introducing a new backup with local and cloud storage via crashplan

Almost everything went quite well, but the groupware server I chose
caused to much trouble from the very begining. It turned out that
allthough I had tested the basic functionality before introducing it,
while doing so several functions like connecting to outlook clients
failed with the complexity of the migrated data. (result: workaraound,
workaround and oh yeah, let's work around this one, too)
Later it tuned out, that the calendar functions are insufficient and
faulty. I don't want to name this product here, as I wish these people
much luck in further development. Enough to say I want to get it out of
my network asap.

Therefore I installed Horde Webmail 5.2.7 in a container virtualisation
based on a lighttpd turnkey linux 13.01 Debian template (following the
official installation manual). With the help of this document:
https://www.skelleton.net/2013/05/12/installing-horde-5-and-configuring-it-for-active-directory-and-dovecot/
I managed to connect to the active directory server for authentication
and connecting to the imap (Dovecot) and smtp (Postfix) server of my
momentary groupware.

So my target is to firstly let horde take over the groupware functions
instead of the existing one (to put my coworkers into a satisfying
working state asap) and then migrate SAMBA 4 and Dovecot to new vitual
machines, to finally be able to turn off the old groupware server.

The mysql database is up and running and is shown as completely
configured in the administrative interface, so the basic configuration
seems to be fine. But still I'm facing some small problems on my way.

So to everyone who read so far: my greatest thanks for following up on
my difficulties aaannnd here comes a list of my momentary and futurely
problems with this migration, everyone feel free to pick a matter of his
or her choice and hopefully reply instead of framing it and putting it
to the wall :)

1. Allthough the sql database is working and I can store the global
preferences in it (like time and date format, language selection and so
on), these preferences never become applied to the web interface. Even
when I just lock on choosing German as my prefered language the
interface is still in English. There is no error message concerning
this, I get a green little screen saying configuration stored and the
made changes show up sucessfully on the next login.

2. Manipulating a imp/backends.local.php didn't work at all, I believe
I'm not the only one with that issue.

3. I donot manage to reach the ldap authentication through to the mail
interface (user not configured for mail). I manipulated the
imp/backends.php and tried the following:

    Horde only accepts the normal domain username as credentials but my
    IMAP Server only accepts email and password (which is the same like
    the AD password). Non of the hordeauth settings can successfully
    route me through to the webmail interface without having to
    authenticate again using the email address.

    $servers['imap']['disabled'] = true;
    $servers['advanced']['disabled'] = false;
    $servers['advanced']['hordeauth'] = true;

    are activated. ACL setting doesn't make a difference.

4. I realised, that allthough ldap configuration is successfull and all
users can be listed, in the details of the user the email-adress is
never visible. Might this be the reason why above email authentication
is not working?

5. I'll need to migrate all calendar data from the old groupware to
horde. Subscription to the existing calendars in Horde via CalDAV is
successfull. Does someone know an elegant way to copy all calendar
entries to the user calendar, so it will be stored in the horde mysql
database?

I'm sure there are more questions to come, but maybe it is better to
wait for the reactions on this email first. I'd like to offer a potatoe
for this long email, but I'm not sure if everyone knows 9gag here. Also
I din't understand that joke until today. (And by now I'm to afraid to ask.)

Best regards, Jens.