[horde] ActiveSync disappearing and reappearing contacts

Matthias Marx mmarx at netdmon.de
Wed Jul 15 22:08:20 UTC 2015

On Wed 15 Jul 2015 10:16:39 PM CEST, Michael J Rubinsky
<mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:

> Quoting Matthias Marx <mmarx at netdmon.de>:
>
>> On Wed 15 Jul 2015 01:49:18 PM CEST, Michael J Rubinsky
>> <mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:

>>> http://developer.android.com/tools/devices/emulator.html
>>
>> Thanks, using that is easier than I thought.
>> Here is what I tested:
>>
>> * Lollipop 5.1.1; One/Same test account
>>  * Sync contacts; Sync calendar; no email
>>    * Same behavior as described before
>>    * During sync, contacts appear and vanish again
>>  * Sync contacts only
>>    * Same behavior as described before
>>    * One sync, contacts appear, next sync contacts vanish, and this
>> cycle continues.
>> * Lollipop 5.0.1; One/Same test account
>>  * Sync contacts; Sync calendar; no email
>>    * Same behavior as with 5.1.1
>>  * Sync contacts only
>>    * Same behavior as with 5.1.1
>> * KitKat 4.4.4; One/Same test account
>>  * Sync contacts; Sync calendar; no email
>>  * Works fine, as it should, contacts stay visible on the device
>> even after several syncs.
>>  * Can also create a new contact on the device and it is synced
>> back to horde correctly
>>  * Can also create a new contact in horde and it is synced to the
>> device correctly
>>
>> So it looks like KitKat is working properly, after adding the new
>> contacts I started 5.1.1 again and the contacts also appear there
>> but the behavior is still broken like before.
>>
>> I'm a puzzled by the fact that I have one account which is working
>> correctly.
>
> I'm puzzled by the fact that this doesn't happen on ANY of the test
> devices or emulators I've tried. Including the 5.0.1 version.
>
>  When I get time, I'll try a 5.1.1 AVD, but otherwise I really don't
> know what else to tell you since I can't reproduce it and there have
> been no other reports from other users/admins either.
>
> One thing I *will* say is that Android almost always breaks if you
> try to synchronize without providing any email folders to sync. We
> get around this in Horde by sending phony INBOX/Trash etc... when
> you disable email sync in the activesync config. I assume this is
> disabled since you say you are not using email sync?

Ok, I always thought that enabling the e-mail syncing "worked",
because in the sync settings it was shown as finished, and did no
difference to the contacts syncing, but after you insisted that this
could cause problems I tested it again.
I removed all user data, removed the account from the 5.0.1 AVD.
Then I added the account again to the AVD and kept all sync checkboxes
enabled, i.e. syncing contacts, calendar, e-mail. Syncing finished, at
least it seems so, still the problem with the contacts.
I then wanted to check the mail syncing by accessing the Mail app but
it's always showing "Getting your messages" with a progress bar that
is running, but nothing happens. I also cannot send mail through this
account.
Here is the sync log for the whole process:
http://netdmon.de/public/2015-07-15_horde_active_sync.txt

Maybe you can read something more out of this logfile.

Thanks for your efforts anyway!

Matthias