[horde] ActiveSync disappearing and reappearing contacts

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Jul 15 20:16:39 UTC 2015

Quoting Matthias Marx <mmarx at netdmon.de>:

> On Wed 15 Jul 2015 01:49:18 PM CEST, Michael J Rubinsky
> <mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Matthias Marx <mmarx at netdmon.de>:

>>> Sorry for the late reply ... I'm in the process of migrating my
>>> server from Debian 6 to CentOS 7 ...
>>> I wanted to do that anyway and thought that maybe some kind of odd
>>> behavior of the old php5.3/mysql5.1 version could cause this, but
>>> I still see the problem with php5.4/mariadb5.5.
>>>
>>> Back to your question I didn't explicitly test my test account as
>>> an only account on the Nexus devices but I remember that I had the
>>> same issue with a new account when I first setup the device, my
>>> workaround was then to use CardDav for the contacts and no
>>> calendar syncing because that's not used on this device. But now
>>> the user on that device would like to use calendar syncing as
>>> well, so that's the reason I'm trying to fix the ActiveSync stuff.
>>> Could you point me in the right direction for the Android emulator
>>> you are using, I could set it up and try to recreate the same
>>> behavior with my test account.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Matthias
>>>
>>> --
>>

>> http://developer.android.com/tools/devices/emulator.html
>
> Thanks, using that is easier than I thought.
> Here is what I tested:
>
> * Lollipop 5.1.1; One/Same test account
>   * Sync contacts; Sync calendar; no email
>     * Same behavior as described before
>     * During sync, contacts appear and vanish again
>   * Sync contacts only
>     * Same behavior as described before
>     * One sync, contacts appear, next sync contacts vanish, and this
> cycle continues.
> * Lollipop 5.0.1; One/Same test account
>   * Sync contacts; Sync calendar; no email
>     * Same behavior as with 5.1.1
>   * Sync contacts only
>     * Same behavior as with 5.1.1
> * KitKat 4.4.4; One/Same test account
>   * Sync contacts; Sync calendar; no email
>   * Works fine, as it should, contacts stay visible on the device
> even after several syncs.
>   * Can also create a new contact on the device and it is synced
> back to horde correctly
>   * Can also create a new contact in horde and it is synced to the
> device correctly
>
> So it looks like KitKat is working properly, after adding the new
> contacts I started 5.1.1 again and the contacts also appear there
> but the behavior is still broken like before.
>
> I'm a puzzled by the fact that I have one account which is working correctly.

I'm puzzled by the fact that this doesn't happen on ANY of the test
devices or emulators I've tried. Including the 5.0.1 version.

  When I get time, I'll try a 5.1.1 AVD, but otherwise I really don't
know what else to tell you since I can't reproduce it and there have
been no other reports from other users/admins either.

One thing I *will* say is that Android almost always breaks if you try
to synchronize without providing any email folders to sync. We get
around this in Horde by sending phony INBOX/Trash etc... when you
disable email sync in the activesync config. I assume this is disabled
since you say you are not using email sync?