[horde] Active Sync makes a rather slow impression

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Sep 7 16:54:49 UTC 2015

Quoting Jens Hellermann <hellermann at we-do.com>:

> Dear Horde List Members,
>
> I have to sync several really large (>16GB +) Outlook accounts via
> Activesync into Outlook, and I would like to know if it is possible
> to give some Horde Processes a higher priority or myabe asign more
> workers for certain processes.
> Because a  16GB Mail folder with over 50 Subfolders and sub, sub,
> sub Folders is taking really long (more than 8 hours definitly).
> Still the Server seems to be running idle most of the time, hardly
> any network taffic, minimal CPU Usage same for memory.
>
> Does anyone have an idea, how to fix this issue? Kind regards, Jens.

The slowdown is most likely NOT due to any server resource usage - as
you can see by your server stats. This is probably due to OL's speed
in parsing and/or requesting each set of mail messages. IIRC, I've
seen OL request between 5 and 50 messages per request and new requests
are not made immediately after the previous one finishes (probably to
improve responsiveness of OL during the long initial sync while still
allowing NEW email messages to arrive before the intial sync is
finished). As far as I know there is no way to change this behavior.
You can verify this by following the sync log of an attached OL client.

--
mike
The Horde Project