[horde] Active Sync makes a rather slow impression

Jens Hellermann hellermann at we-do.com
Tue Sep 8 09:53:42 UTC 2015

Am 07.09.2015 um 18:54 schrieb Michael J Rubinsky:

> Quoting Jens Hellermann <hellermann at we-do.com>:
>
>> Dear Horde List Members,
>>
>> I have to sync several really large (>16GB +) Outlook accounts via
>> Activesync into Outlook, and I would like to know if it is possible
>> to give some Horde Processes a higher priority or myabe asign more
>> workers for certain processes.
>> Because a  16GB Mail folder with over 50 Subfolders and sub, sub, sub
>> Folders is taking really long (more than 8 hours definitly). Still
>> the Server seems to be running idle most of the time, hardly any
>> network taffic, minimal CPU Usage same for memory.
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea, how to fix this issue? Kind regards, Jens.
>

> The slowdown is most likely NOT due to any server resource usage - as
> you can see by your server stats. This is probably due to OL's speed
> in parsing and/or requesting each set of mail messages. IIRC, I've
> seen OL request between 5 and 50 messages per request and new requests
> are not made immediately after the previous one finishes (probably to
> improve responsiveness of OL during the long initial sync while still
> allowing NEW email messages to arrive before the intial sync is
> finished). As far as I know there is no way to change this behavior.
> You can verify this by following the sync log of an attached OL client.

Hello Michael, first things first thanks a lot for your quick response.
I understand that Outlook needs some time to synchronize, but my
impression is that the system became slower with every new mail account
I synchronize. What makes it difficult for me to analyze the situation
is that I have problems setting up Activesync for logging per device (or
single file at the moment). This weekend I upgraded everything to the
newest version of Horde 5.2.10 . Maybe logging is a little buggy (or
me!). The entries in the gui result in these entries in the conf.php:

$conf['activesync']['logging']['path'] = '/var/log/activesync';
$conf['activesync']['logging']['level'] = '2';
$conf['activesync']['logging']['type'] = 'perdevice';

The folder has been given the right permissions but even after a reboot
no files ever show up in it. If I give folder path
'/var/log/activesync/' I kill horde more or less completely.

Can you confim this behaviour, or is it me going wrong somewhere? Best
regards, Jens.