[horde] Photos in address books

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Nov 16 21:39:18 UTC 2015

Quoting Ralph Ballier <ballier at mail.schule.de>:

> Zitat von Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Ralph Ballier <ballier at mail.schule.de>:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> a colleague had written a software for an webbased addressbook. There
> are
>>> stored personal datas of many persons together with here photos. If you
>>> look, all photos seem to have the same size.
>>>
>>> Now we had transported all data into an addressbook under Horde. The
> data
>>> are stored in LDAP. Now we see in Horde all photos in here original
> size.
>>> Some are very very large (bigger than the screen). But if you look onto
>>> the
>>> sychronized contacts at my tablet, the size are correct.
>>>
>>> How I can solve this problem, which seems to be only if I call the
>>> addressbook in Horde?
>>
>> We don't dynamically resize the photos on page view since this is an
>> expensive operation. On image upload we provide a UI to resize the image
>> before committing the change. Obviously this doesn't work for API/Import
>> access. We can add a config option for Turba going forward though for
>> default picture size when importing.
>>
>> Please create an enhancement ticket on bugs.horde.org so this doesn't
>> get lost.
>>

> My colleague means, that the reduction of the number of pixel before
> storing is not the right way. He means, you must say to the browser to show
> the desired resolution. The number of pixels in the stored photo shall
> remain unchanged because he don't want degradation. Later he will print the
> photos and then the quality is bad.

Still please create an enhancement ticket.

We currently do NOT degrade the photo when importing; This is the
reason you see it full size. I see your point about degrading the
image, but we still need to enforce some limit on import/upload.
Resizing a large image in the browser is a waste of bandwidth and
dynamically resizing it server side before serving it is an expensive
processor operation.

We probably need a combination of the two for maximum administrator
flexibility: A maximum resolution to save, and a maximum size to
display.

--
mike
The Horde Project