[horde] Photos in address books

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Mon Nov 16 21:45:05 UTC 2015

Citeren Ralph Ballier <ballier at mail.schule.de>:

> Zitat von Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Ralph Ballier <ballier at mail.schule.de>:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> a colleague had written a software for an webbased addressbook. There
> are
>>> stored personal datas of many persons together with here photos. If you
>>> look, all photos seem to have the same size.
>>>
>>> Now we had transported all data into an addressbook under Horde. The
> data
>>> are stored in LDAP. Now we see in Horde all photos in here original
> size.
>>> Some are very very large (bigger than the screen). But if you look onto
>>> the
>>> sychronized contacts at my tablet, the size are correct.
>>>
>>> How I can solve this problem, which seems to be only if I call the
>>> addressbook in Horde?
>>
>> We don't dynamically resize the photos on page view since this is an
>> expensive operation. On image upload we provide a UI to resize the image
>> before committing the change. Obviously this doesn't work for API/Import
>> access. We can add a config option for Turba going forward though for
>> default picture size when importing.
>>
>> Please create an enhancement ticket on bugs.horde.org so this doesn't
>> get lost.
>>

> My colleague means, that the reduction of the number of pixel before
> storing is not the right way. He means, you must say to the browser to show
> the desired resolution. The number of pixels in the stored photo shall
> remain unchanged because he don't want degradation. Later he will print the
> photos and then the quality is bad.

By default, Horde will embed the images in base64 in the page (which
saves on server connections and roundtrip delays). This means that
resizing will have to be done on the server, which is a costly
operation and therefor is best done once (on uploading the image).
This doesn't mean the originals necessarily are lost, it might be an
option to allow downloading the originals from Turba.