[horde] ActiveSync: Contacs disappear after initial sync

Matthias Marx mmarx at netdmon.de
Sun Nov 22 13:47:33 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Sat 21 Nov 2015 03:23:23 PM CET, Michael J Rubinsky
<mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:

> Quoting Robert Müller <tastenmann at chorwurm.de>:
>
>> Hello list members,
>> I'm experiencing a problem I've seen discussed on this list before,
>> but was never really solved.
>> A week ago, I got myself a Nexus 5 phone, installed the latest
>> Android updates on it (running on Android 6.0 Patchlevel November
>> 1). This phone is going to replace my Galaxy Nexus which is
>> currently running with Cyanogenmod 11.
>>
>> On the Galaxy Nexus, I'm using ActiveSync to synchronize Contacts
>> and Calendar entries from a Horde account. While this works fine on
>> the Galaxy Nexus (most of the time), I'm just unable to get it
>> working with the Nexus 5. What happens when I set up the account on
>> the Nexus 5 is:
>> Contacts and Calendar start syncing. I can see the contacts appear
>> in the Contacts app in small bulks (around 10 at a time). As soon
>> as everything is synced, the contacts just vanish. Sometimes, they
>> sync a second time (without me doing anything) directly after
>> disappering, only to disappear again when the sync is done. After
>> that, it stays like that until I trigger a new sync. When I do
>> that, contacts appear again and vanish again after the sync.
>>
>> At first I thought it might be the data in the Horde account, that
>> perhaps one of the entries that get synced last somehow disturb the
>> phone. So, I created a test account. Just one contact (Name, phone
>> number, nothing else) and one email in the inbox. I set up this
>> account (after removing the other one) on both phones. On the
>> Galaxy Nexus, the contact stays in the contact list, while on the
>> Nexus 5, it appears, vanishes, appears and vanishes again.

I reported that behavior some time ago and you are right we did never
really resolve it because I gave up on it. There was nothing obvious
in the sync logs and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I
had the feeling that it had something to do with the fact that I
didn't enable mail syncing but if I remember correctly I couldn't
really pinpoint it to that with certainty.
My solution was to use CardDAV and CalDAV syncing instead.