[horde] ActiveSync: Contacs disappear after initial sync

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sun Nov 22 17:38:52 UTC 2015

Quoting Robert Müller <tastenmann at chorwurm.de>:

> Hello list members,
> I'm experiencing a problem I've seen discussed on this list before,
> but was never really solved.
> A week ago, I got myself a Nexus 5 phone, installed the latest
> Android updates on it (running on Android 6.0 Patchlevel November
> 1). This phone is going to replace my Galaxy Nexus which is
> currently running with Cyanogenmod 11.
>
> On the Galaxy Nexus, I'm using ActiveSync to synchronize Contacts
> and Calendar entries from a Horde account. While this works fine on
> the Galaxy Nexus (most of the time), I'm just unable to get it
> working with the Nexus 5. What happens when I set up the account on
> the Nexus 5 is:
> Contacts and Calendar start syncing. I can see the contacts appear
> in the Contacts app in small bulks (around 10 at a time). As soon as
> everything is synced, the contacts just vanish. Sometimes, they sync
> a second time (without me doing anything) directly after
> disappering, only to disappear again when the sync is done. After
> that, it stays like that until I trigger a new sync. When I do that,
> contacts appear again and vanish again after the sync.
>
> At first I thought it might be the data in the Horde account, that
> perhaps one of the entries that get synced last somehow disturb the
> phone. So, I created a test account. Just one contact (Name, phone
> number, nothing else) and one email in the inbox. I set up this
> account (after removing the other one) on both phones. On the Galaxy
> Nexus, the contact stays in the contact list, while on the Nexus 5,
> it appears, vanishes, appears and vanishes again.
>
> I've created logfiles for both phones when syncing to that account
> in the hope someone finds out whats going wrong here. They can be
> found attached to this email.
>
> I'm running Horde Webmail Edition 5.2.11 with Turba 4.2.11,
> kronolith 4.2.11, imp 6.2.11 and core version 5.2.8.

Just spent about 2 hours of quality time with the Android SDK emulator
for Android 6. I had a VERY difficult time getting it to sync at all
initially until I realized that even though I repeatedly set it up to
use port 8080 and no ssl, the client would connect ONCE on the correct
port and load the folder list, then the configuration would revert to
SSL on port 443 and the account would automatically reset. The only
way I got it to work was setting up the dev VM I was using with SSL.

Once it started syncing I DID see the same behavior for a few minutes.
Everything would load, email, contacts, calendar etc... but then the
client would issue a new FOLDERSYNC with synckey of 0 (which to me
indicates the internal state for the client was lost/reset).
Eventually, it stopped doing this and started working normally. No
change on my part, just let it run for about 15 minutes and it started
working.

This leads me to believe it is something wrong with the client code,
and not the Horde ActiveSync code, as there are no errors or no
incorrect WBXML being sent that I can see.

--
mike
The Horde Project