[horde] ActiveSync: Contacs disappear after initial sync

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Nov 23 02:49:39 UTC 2015

Quoting Robert Müller <tastenmann at chorwurm.de>:

> [...]
>>> as everything is synced, the contacts just vanish. Sometimes, they
>>> sync a second time (without me doing anything) directly after
>>> disappering, only to disappear again when the sync is done. After
>>> that, it stays like that until I trigger a new sync. When I do
>>> that, contacts appear again and vanish again after the sync.
>>>
>>> At first I thought it might be the data in the Horde account, that
>>> perhaps one of the entries that get synced last somehow disturb
>>> the phone. So, I created a test account. Just one contact (Name,
>>> phone number, nothing else) and one email in the inbox. I set up
>>> this account (after removing the other one) on both phones. On the
>>> Galaxy Nexus, the contact stays in the contact list, while on the
>>> Nexus 5, it appears, vanishes, appears and vanishes again.
>>>
>>> I've created logfiles for both phones when syncing to that account
>>> in the hope someone finds out whats going wrong here. They can be
>>> found attached to this email.
>>>
>>> I'm running Horde Webmail Edition 5.2.11 with Turba 4.2.11,
>>> kronolith 4.2.11, imp 6.2.11 and core version 5.2.8.
>>
>> Just spent about 2 hours of quality time with the Android SDK
>> emulator for Android 6. I had a VERY difficult time getting it to
>> sync at all initially until I realized that even though I
>> repeatedly set it up to use port 8080 and no ssl, the client would
>> connect ONCE on the correct port and load the folder list, then the
>> configuration would revert to SSL on port 443 and the account would
>> automatically reset. The only way I got it to work was setting up
>> the dev VM I was using with SSL.
>>
>> Once it started syncing I DID see the same behavior for a few
>> minutes. Everything would load, email, contacts, calendar etc...
>> but then the client would issue a new FOLDERSYNC with synckey of 0
>> (which to me indicates the internal state for the client was
>> lost/reset). Eventually, it stopped doing this and started working
>> normally. No change on my part, just let it run for about 15
>> minutes and it started working.
>>
>> This leads me to believe it is something wrong with the client
>> code, and not the Horde ActiveSync code, as there are no errors or
>> no incorrect WBXML being sent that I can see.
>
> Hi Mike, thanks for the effort.
> I can rule out an issue with ports, as my server is using the
> standard SSL port 443.
> I can confirm what you found regarding the FolderSync request after
> the initial sync - although I'm not very familiar with Exchange
> ActiveSync, it looks like what you described. Seems the original
> Microsoft Exchange is more forgiving here - I cannot reproduce the
> problem when I sync to the Exchange server at my workplace.
> My issue is different in only one aspect - the contacts never stay.
> I let it run for a whole day or two - contacts never appeared, only
> when I issued a manual resync, after which they would appear one
> after another and then disappear again.
> Would it be possible to implement a server-side workaround for Android 6?

Possibly, but only once we figure out *why* the client is doing this.
It's obviously something that the client is doing since the data the
server sends does not change for Android version 5 vs version 6. My
first, very very very wild guess is that it might be looking for a
specific type of mail folder that you don't use, like a sent items, or
trash folder. Otherwise, I've no idea right now.