[horde] timezone db download from iana

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Tue Nov 24 10:01:11 UTC 2015

Citeren Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:

> Zitat von cheese at nosuchhost.net:
>
>> hi
>>
>> just had some talk with a cowroker and we have both no answer to:
>> *) why does horde by itself download the database from
>> ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/tzdata-latest.tar.gz
>> one would expect that the local db from os was queried. that db
>> should be the correct one and receive updates from "normal"
>> system-updates.
>
> Because both, the system database and the Horde database are
> generated from the IANA source. But we cannot generate the Horde
> database from the system database. It simply doesn't contain the
> information that we need and is not parseable in the way the IANA db
> is. But that location is just the default, you can specify any other
> location, like a local copy of that file.
>
>> *) when does horde download that file and where is it's content saved?
>
> When it's not available yet or the cache TTL expired, into the
> temporary directory.

And if you want full control over when and where from to download the
database, just configure the value of $conf[timezone][location] to
something like

     file:///var/horde/tzdata-latest.tar.gz

You can then download the data to that file at your own discretion or
(in my case) by running a (monthly) cronjob to do that for you. Just
make sure it is in the right format.