[horde] apache cpu usage?

avp at rokeyetee.com avp at rokeyetee.com
Thu Feb 18 15:52:48 UTC 2016

> Quoting avp at rokeyetee.com:
>
>> I'm running Horde on a AWS t2.medium instance - HORDE GROUPWARE WEBMAIL
>> EDITION 5.2.6
>>
>> I've got some funny apache behaviour that just doesn't seem right to
>> me...
>>
>> When I run "apache2ctl status", 99% of the time all threads are in the
>> "W"
>> (Sending Reply) state:
>>
>>    Current Time: Thursday, 18-Feb-2016 10:02:53 NST
>>    Restart Time: Thursday, 18-Feb-2016 09:49:25 NST
>>    Parent Server Config. Generation: 1
>>    Parent Server MPM Generation: 0
>>    Server uptime: 13 minutes 27 seconds
>>    Server load: 0.77 0.77 0.85
>>    Total accesses: 1382 - Total Traffic: 7.7 MB
>>    CPU Usage: u230.64 s11.47 cu0 cs0 - 30% CPU load
>>    1.71 requests/sec - 9.8 kB/second - 5.7 kB/request
>>    20 requests currently being processed, 8 idle workers
>>
>> _WWWWWW_WWWWW__W_WWWWWW__W.K_...........
>>
>> It seems strange to me that "sending reply" would be the bottleneck?
>>
>> Also when I run top, I constantly see apache procs jumping to the top
>> with
>> up to 50% cpu usage.
>>
>> Most all the connections are ActiveSync.
>
> When an ActiveSync client is configured for "Push", the connection to
> the webserver remains open while it runs the PING command. These
> requests last up to the "hearbeat interval" that is negotiated between
> the server and client unless there is a change detected, when the PING
> requests ends and a new SYNC request is issued. It makes complete sense
> that you would see ActiveSync connections remaining open.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not questioning that the ActiveSync connections remain open - I
get that.  I'm questioning that the connections are in the "Sending
Reply" state?  And that my CPU usage seems too high to me?  I'm
wondering if there is some php being called to generate the reply that
is being sent but it is taking abnormally long/excessive cpu?  Just
sort of guessing here...  How might I track down what is using the cpu
or why the connections are in the sending state?

Here are my activesync settings:

$conf['activesync']['ping']['heartbeatmin'] = 60;
$conf['activesync']['ping']['heartbeatmax'] = 2700;
$conf['activesync']['ping']['heartbeatdefault'] = 480;
$conf['activesync']['ping']['deviceping'] = true;
$conf['activesync']['ping']['waitinterval'] = 10;

I just changed waitinterval from 5 to 10.

Any suggestions on what these should be?

Any other tips/advice to lower CPU usage?

Thanks again.