[horde] apache cpu usage?

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Feb 18 14:04:32 UTC 2016

Quoting avp at rokeyetee.com:

> I'm running Horde on a AWS t2.medium instance - HORDE GROUPWARE WEBMAIL
> EDITION 5.2.6
>
> I've got some funny apache behaviour that just doesn't seem right to me...
>
> When I run "apache2ctl status", 99% of the time all threads are in the "W"
> (Sending Reply) state:
>
>     Current Time: Thursday, 18-Feb-2016 10:02:53 NST
>      Restart Time: Thursday, 18-Feb-2016 09:49:25 NST
>      Parent Server Config. Generation: 1
>      Parent Server MPM Generation: 0
>      Server uptime: 13 minutes 27 seconds
>      Server load: 0.77 0.77 0.85
>      Total accesses: 1382 - Total Traffic: 7.7 MB
>      CPU Usage: u230.64 s11.47 cu0 cs0 - 30% CPU load
>      1.71 requests/sec - 9.8 kB/second - 5.7 kB/request
>      20 requests currently being processed, 8 idle workers
>
>   _WWWWWW_WWWWW__W_WWWWWW__W.K_...........
>

> It seems strange to me that "sending reply" would be the bottleneck?
>
> Also when I run top, I constantly see apache procs jumping to the top with
> up to 50% cpu usage.
>
> Most all the connections are ActiveSync.

When an ActiveSync client is configured for "Push", the connection to
the webserver remains open while it runs the PING command. These
requests last up to the "hearbeat interval" that is negotiated between
the server and client unless there is a change detected, when the PING
requests ends and a new SYNC request is issued. It makes complete
sense that you would see ActiveSync connections remaining open.