[horde] Authentication of external applications using Horde.

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Feb 29 15:14:08 UTC 2016

Quoting ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:

> List,
>
> I want to know, is there already a feature, which will enable an
> external application to authenticate using Horde and continue to
> work using the credentials provided.

Not currently. We currently only offer our RPC interface for remote
API interaction - and this requires the user's credentials to be
passed via HTTP Auth.

> Now a days, many applications on Internet are allowing to
> authenticate using Google or Facebook. On the similar lines, is
> there a possibility of integrating the login with Horde?

We have a library for interacting with Facebook, but do not have any
Horde authentication backend to allow the "Login with Facebook"
functionality. It would theoretically be possible to implement such a
Horde authentication backend but this would only work in certain cases
- e.g., if email is part of your system (and requires a discrete user
login), this would not be able to authenticate you to your IMAP server
since the actual credentials would never be actually passed to Horde -
even if they did happen to be the same as your FB credentials.

> In simple, when clicked on external application for Login using
> Horde, it will visit our Horde setup, authenticates and returns to
> the external application with userid (on successful login).

Oh, wait. Are you asking if Horde can be authenticated to using a
third party or if Horde can actually act as the authentication agent
for some other application?

--
mike
The Horde Project