[horde] User not authorized for mail - SOLVED

Dennis Terebecki dtex23 at gmail.com
Sat May 14 12:00:08 UTC 2016

>Hello all,
>
>Using Horde 5.2.10, freshly installed,
>
>I have an issue where two users are not being displayed the "Mail" link in
their top menu bar.  I've >followed the recommended troubleshooting
procedures in the FAQ at https://wiki.horde.org/faq/>admin/troubleshoot
<https://wiki.horde.org/faq/admin/troubleshoot> and cannot seem to make
headway.  Also, any options associated with Mail: >do not show up in the
Add Content portal blocks.

>Interestingly, I noticed that I have (fully functional, read, send,
receive) mail displayed to me (the >administrator), so I promoted one of
the other users to administrator, and mail started working for >them, with
the ability to add the portal block, view, send and receive mail.  As soon
as the user >was removed from the administrator group, the message "User
xxx is not authorized for Mail >(Host: x.x.x.x)".

>How to fix this so that a non administrator user is authorized to use
Imp/Mail?

>DJ
>dtex23 at gmail.com <dtex23 at gmail.com>

AHA!!!

>From searching, it looked like two things just about everyone from
Google-space was saying that permissions were an issue ... and everyone
posting back and forth was looking at *NIX filesystem permissions.  There
are even some helpful souls pointing towards the storage backend and
cookies (see https://wiki.horde.org/faq/admin/troubleshoot)

Mine was solved in an easier fashion...

(menu) Administration -> Configuration link
(left side) Permissions
(tree) All Permissions
(tree) Mail (imp)
(tree) Edit
All Authenticated Users tab
Check all boxes (show, read, edit, delete)
click Update, and viola!

According to the wiki page https://wiki.horde.org/Doc/Permissions   , "If
there are no permissions set on an application, or on Horde itself, the
default is to allow authenticated users and disallow guests (unless the app
is disabled or set to admin-only in the registry)".  This does not seem to
be the case, as users were explicitly denied imp login.  Also strange is
the fact the imp is the only application that had permissions by default.

Am I the only one to see this?  Is this something that needs to go in the
wiki or install docs?  Two minutes of reading here is a hell of a lot
easier than two days of headbanging pain. searching for something
documentation suggests should be automatic.

DJ