[horde] OT: update from https://pear.horde.org via proxy

A. Schulze sca at andreasschulze.de
Sun Jun 5 21:15:10 UTC 2016

Hello,

I've to use a HTTP-Proxy to update horde via pear. That no longer work since some days/weeks here.

setup:

# pear config-get http_proxy
proxy.example.org:3128

# pear list-channels
Registered Channels:
====================
Channel        Alias   Summary
doc.php.net    phpdocs PHP Documentation Team
pear.horde.org horde   Horde PEAR server
pear.php.net   pear    PHP Extension and Application
                        Repository
pecl.php.net   pecl    PHP Extension Community Library
__uri          __uri   Pseudo-channel for static packages

# pear update-channels
Updating channel "doc.php.net"
Channel "doc.php.net" is up to date
Updating channel "pear.horde.org"
Channel "pear.horde.org" is not responding over http://, failed with message: File https://pear.horde.org:443/channel.xml not valid (received: HTTP/1.0 501 Not Implemented
)
Trying channel "pear.horde.org" over https:// instead
Cannot retrieve channel.xml for channel "pear.horde.org" (File https://pear.horde.org:443/channel.xml not valid (received: HTTP/1.0 501 Not Implemented
))
Updating channel "pear.php.net"
Channel "pear.php.net" is up to date
Updating channel "pecl.php.net"
Channel "pecl.php.net" is up to date

so far it looks like the proxy deny the connection but this is not the whole truth.
HTTPS via proxy use the HTTP Connect method. Connection client -> proxy start with plain text, issue the HTTP method "CONNECT pear.horde.org"
and *then* do the crypto in the same tcp-session. I observe the pear client connect to the proxy address and instant start TLS handshake.
This is not a valid request so the proxy answer 501.

Any other horde user observe a similar problem?
If not I'm interested in finding my configuration failure ...

Thanks,
Andreas