[horde] [dev] Horde 6 vs. Horde 5.3

Vilius Sumskas/LNK vilius at lnk.lt
Thu Jun 16 15:01:53 UTC 2016

> > namespaces

> >> Another thought. Will we be able to (do we have to) keep the PHP
> >> version requirement the same? Personally, I've not been testing
master
> >> against PHP 5.3.x.
> >
> > Why not?
>
> Why wasn't I testing on 5.3.x? Because until this discussion, Git
> master was going to become Horde 6 - where we do plan on bumping the
> PHP requirement and quite frankly, don't see the value in testing new
> major release code on a version of php that was eol'd almost 2 years
> ago.

No, I mean, why not keep the same requirement. PHP community do not
support that version anymore, but as I said, all major Linux distribution
providers still do (and they still backport security bugfixes).

In my opinion bumping requirements which are still used widely = market
share lost. Deciding on a PHP version must be done before a code is
branched, so it can be tested properly.

Anyway, as I said, if you are going to raise the required version then 5.4
should be a best option.