[horde] [dev] Horde 6 vs. Horde 5.3

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Jun 23 22:18:06 UTC 2016

Quoting Steffen <skhorde at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de>:

> On Thu, 16 Jun 2016, Paco Orozco wrote:
>
>> We have a lot of users that have started using the calenda. The bugs and
>> pending improvements of the current horde version are producing a lot of
>> pressure to us to find an alternative.
>>
>> Having a H5.3 version, with the development Kronolith version, will help
>> us a lot. This could reduce the pressure from our users.
>
> that is one major point here as well. Users started to use Kronolith
> widely (more than I expected, in fact), because of ActiveSync and
> Cal/CardDAV.
>
> Besides client-side sync problems, one of the largest problem
> currently is - don't take me wrong here - automatically sent
> notifications for sync'ed actions. Because many users receive
> appointments from Exchange, for which they do *not* want to sent
> notifications to attendees again, because those are not "filtered
> away" automatically by Exchange, but presented to the users as
> message. For what reason ever. I thought Outlook / Exchange would
> automagically accept those messages as reply and change the attendee
> status of the appointment.

> Better stable than early

So, is this a vote for Horde 5.3 or Horde 6? The code base that will
be Horde 5.3 is the same code base that would become Horde 6. So
technically it will be released as stable earlier if we choose to
release a Horde 5.3.

> hm. some users do use Basic view here, because they do not use
> JavaScript capable browsers for several purposes.

So, it sounds like people will miss the basic view. Since this is
already removed Git, a new IMP release, be it a point or major
release, would mean the loss of this view. Jan had suggested only
releasing a subset of the applications in the 5.3 release cycle to
deal with this. I would prefer a completely synchronized release since
there has been so many changes/improvements to IMP. What about we
release it, loudly announce the loss of basic view, but do NOT include
it in the Webmail bundle so admins using the bundle at least would
have to explicitly request the upgrade?